Disputing Inaccurate Credit Information

 Federal Credit Reporting Act Rules

Under the FCRA both the credit reporting company and the bank or creditor holding your account are responsible for correcting  inaccurate or incomplete information in your credit report and must respond to your dispute within 30 days of your request.

To get your free annul credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com

How to Dispute

Tell the credit reporting company (Experian, Transunion and Equifax) or the bank or creditor holding your account, in writing, the information you think is inaccurate.  Include copies (not originals) of documents that support your position.  You will find contact details for the creditor at the bottom of your credit report.  Include the following in your letter:

  • Your complete name, address, date of birth and SS#
  • Clearly identify each item in your report you dispute
  • State the facts and explain why you dispute the information
  • Request that the information be deleted or corrected
  • Enclose a copy of your report with items in question circled.

Keep copies of your dispute letter and the enclosures.

Sample Letter

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to dispute the following information in my file.  The items I dispute also are circled on the attached copy of the report I received.

  • Reporting Company – Acct# – state reason for request
  • Reporting Company – Acct# – state reason for request

Enclosed are documents supporting my request along with a copy of my credit report.

If you have questions please call me at (phone number)


Your Full Name